Verilast◊ Knee Technology
Our LEGION◊ CR Knee with VERILAST Technology was lab-tested to simulate the number of steps the average person takes in 30 years.1-7
If knee replacement is in your future, you've come to the right place to learn about one of the truly significant advancements in joint replacement materials in the past 20 years, VERILAST Knee Technology.
It's important to remember that not every knee implant is the same. VERILAST Knee Technology directly addresses one of the most commonly cited concerns associated with knee replacement implants, implant wear.
Whether or not to undergo knee replacement surgery is a very important decision. No matter how statistically safe and successful knee replacement surgery has proven to be, every surgery has risks. Before making any surgical decision, conversations should take place with your family, your primary care doctor and your orthopaedic surgeon to make sure that knee replacement with VERILAST Technology is the right course of action for your particular situation.
Important Testing Note
VERILAST knee wear testing and results apply only to the VERILAST LEGION CR Primary Knee System only. Extended lab-testing for other VERILAST knee systems have not been performed. The results of laboratory wear simulation testing have not been proven to predict actual joint durability and performance in people. A reduction in wear alone may not result in improved joint durability and performance because other factors, such as bone structure, can affect joint durability and performance and cause medical conditions that may result in the need for additional surgery. These other factors were not studied as part of the testing.
Important Safety Notes:
Knee replacement surgery is intended to relieve knee pain and improve knee functions. However, implants may not produce the same feel or function as your original knee. There are potential risks with knee replacement surgery such as loosening, fracture, dislocation, wear and infection that may result in the need for additional surgery. Longevity of implants depends on many factors, such as types of activities and weight. Do not perform high impact activities such as running and jumping unless your surgeon tells you the bone has healed and these activities are acceptable. Early device failure, breakage or loosening may occur if you do not follow your surgeon's limitations on activity level. Early failure can happen if you do not guard your knee joint from overloading due to activity level, failure to control body weight or accidents such as falls. Talk to your doctor to determine what treatment may be best for you.
- Goldsmith AA et al., "Comparative study of the activity of the total hip arthroplasty patients and normal subjects". J Arthrop, (16)5:613-619, 2001.
- Morbidity and mortality weekly report, 55(40):1089-1092, October 13, 2006.(Accessed on October 30, 2009).
- Gioe TJ et al., "Knee Arthroplasty in the young patient - Survival in a community registry". Clin Orthop Relat Res, 464:83-87, 2007.
- Wallbridge N and Dowson D. "The walking activity of patients with artificial hip joints". Eng Med 11:95, 1982
- Wimmer M A et al., "Joint motion and daily activity profile of total knee patients in comparison with the ISO knee wear simulator". Paper 0159, 48th ORS, 2002.
- Huddleston J I et al., "How often do patients with high-flex total knee arthroplasty use high flexion?",Clin Orthop Relat Res, 467:1898-1906, 2009.
- Naal F D et al., "How active are patients undergoing total joint arthroplasty? A systematic review", Clin Orthop Relat Res, DOI 10.1007/s11999-009-1135-9, published online: 28 October 2009.
All information provided on this website is for information purposes only. Every patient's case is unique and each patient should follow his or her doctor's specific instructions. Please discuss nutrition, medication and treatment options with your doctor to make sure you are getting the proper care for your particular situation. If you are seeking this information in an emergency situation, please call 911 and seek emergency help.
All materials copyright © 2019 Smith & Nephew, All Rights Reserved.